Thursday, June 18, 2015

Digital Storytelling



Digital storytelling is similar to my early post with digital photo stories. Piecing together video clips, so it forms a storyline or presentation creates a digital story. There are a multitude of applications that you can use to create a digital story. To the right you will find some icons that will connect you with different software options that can be used to create digital stories. To make my digital story I used two programs, Green Screen by Do Ink and iMovie. First my partner and I recorded all of our scenes in the Green Screen app. In order to do this you must set up a green screen in your recording area. The green screen can be a piece of green fabric or paper, and needs to be large enough to contain the background image you select. Once we were done recording the different scenes we uploaded all of the videos into iMovie, and then did some editing.

You can use digital storytelling to extended lessons and take students deeper into content. Some examples of ways to use digital storytelling are: creating book reports, further explaining vocabulary, and creative writing. There are so many possible ways to use these applications in your classroom: just put your creative hat on! The digital story that I have below was created for my Rock Cycle Unit. During this unit students will learn the three types of rocks and how the rock cycle works. In the video my teaching partner and I explain different places around the world that you can find the rock types. The video is to serve as an example for students so they can create their own video explaining where to find different rock types. I hope you enjoy the video and it sparks some creative ideas on how you implement this in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment